Sunday, March 30, 2008

Nolan's Birth Story

As you guys know, I had been having fairly strong contractions every 10 minutes for 3 days (on and off during the day...and all through the night)...which was wearing me out, but I was trying to sleep as much as possible.

My contractions picked up to 4 minutes apart and much stronger at 2pm on the 26th (my due date!!) We went to the hospital and I was 4cm and they admitted me (I was SOOOOOOOOO happy to be admitted and not have ANOTHER false alarm!). I was praised quite a bit on how calm and relaxed I was. I listened to the CD and Brian read a script or two...everything was going really well and very tolerable. They broke my water (the bag was bulging, just wouldn't break on its own) and I think I was 6cm around 6pm...but then the dilation stalled...and I was still 6cm at 11pm (or somewhere around there...this is where things get really blurry for me).

They wanted to give pitocin...and I was getting impatient (although I still was managing quite well with my breathing...I just wanted the baby already!). They said this would speed things up...so I said "Ok, let's do it!" I think that was around midnight. I swear, as soon as the stuff hit my bloodstream, my contractions were so strong that they had to peel me off the ceiling. They came without warning and I couldn't get on top of them...I felt like I was constantly out of breath and just behind the ball...there was NO relaxing at this point...which made me panic a bit. It exhausted me so much (I had been in labor for 10 hours at this point) and I just could not go on.

They gave me my options...and I decided on the one thing that scared me the most...an epidural. The Anesthesiologist was amazing with me...he explained that he wasn't going to make things pain free...just tolerable so that I could get through it but still be able to push and everything...this made me feel SO much better. After the epidural I could breath. I was sad that I gave up on my drug free birth...but I couldn't beat myself up over it. I was able to sleep a little bit and not feel so exhausted. I woke up at 6am with so much pressure in my bottom, I just felt like I had to push! They checked on the baby and he was soo low and I was 9cm...so it was close. They let me push a little if I felt the need, which just released more water, but made the urge to push go away.

If I remember correctly, they said we would start pushing around 8am, but first I had to get the baby to be face down...so we worked on that! :) I could feel my legs a little bit, but not full control...so getting a big girl like me on her hands and knees to get the baby to flip, was comedic to say the least! They backed my epidural off, so that I could feel the contractions and knew when to push. We started pushing at 9am...and he FINALLY came out at 10:26am. It wasn't at all what I expected...a lot longer pushing than I thought...he just felt like he was going to fall out...so I thought it would be 3 pushes and out...I guess I was wrong! :)

The BEST thing in the world was when I felt his head come through all the way...the rest of the baby just came out! It was soooo amazing and by far worth the 20 hours of labor! :) He is my pride and joy and love him more than I ever thought I could! I know everyone said this would be the case...but you just can't express or understand it until it happens. Things may not have gone exactly as I planned, but given the circumstances...I wouldn't change a thing...it is what it is, and I'm just so thrilled he is happy and healthy and HERE!!!

The staff at the hospital was so helpful and I'm so very glad I picked the hospital for the birth...I was so taken care of...especially after the baby came. We were there almost 48 hours. But could have left after about 24 hours...I was just so sore (I did tear in three places) that I wanted a little more pamper time. Breastfeeding came so naturally to Nolan, which I'm thankful for...I love our bonding time and look forward to our time together.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I know just what you mean about how you feel about little Nolan, and I heard it all the time from other people, too. You really DON'T know what it's like until it happens to you!

My greatest fear wasn't the epidural, it was tearing! Yikes!