Sunday, March 30, 2008

First Night

I learned a few things during our first night home with Nolan...

#1. Our house is a little cold at night. I thought I dressed him about the same as I did in the hospital, but he woke up at one point very fussy, and I think it was because he was so cold. I felt bad about that one...but we'll dress him warmer tonight!

#2. He has amazing arm strength! I think I tried everything short of duct taping his arms to his sides to keep them still.

#3. He seems to want to suck his hands or pretty much anything, but not really hungry. So I decided to give him a paci. He LOVED it, except those pesky hands kept knocking it out of his mouth...so I was frequently woken up to find it...we'll work on this tonight too! :)

#4. Those hiccups that he had in my belly (sometimes 3 times a day) seem to be sticking around. He had a bout of hiccups during the night that really pissed him off! He's having another bout of them as I type!

Today he has been AMAZING. My milk came in (one word: ouch!) and he is a very happy boy (he's a boob man). He's very alert and looking around the room now. I have him laying on the couch proped up on his boppy...and he was just chillin out, taking in the scenery...his eyes are SO cute!

Anyway...as he was chillin out, Hunter came over to get a closer look. Since we brought him home she has always been curious...but not up close. McKinnley doesn't really care, she is just pissed that "her" rocking chair is now occupied by me and this squealing little guy.





Brian and I could stare at him for hours. I LOVE being a mom, even more so than I thought I would...he is just incredible. I know that everyone feels this way about their children...but he IS perfect! :)

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Yay!!! He looks so great! You'd think he was a c-section baby. :o) I'm so glad to finally be able to see him. Congrats!

The Miller's said...

He is so so so so SOOOO beautiful!!!

Edward does the EXACT same thing, where he wants his binky, but he swats it out. I finally figured out at about 2 months or so a trick and it's worked ever since (he's almost 5 months now)...You have to tuck in a blanket really tight around his shoulders to keep his arms pinned, that way he can't swat it out. If he doesn't like to be completely swaddled up like Edward, then just leave his feet free, but just tuck in those shoulders really tight.

Don't feel bad about getting an epidural! I don't know why women even attempt it...to me it's like deciding to get a root canal without anesthesia...why go through the pain when we have the blessing of modern medicine! I do agree that it's better to be able to not be too numb though...that's how it was with Colette and Edward. With Adrienne I was completely numb. I had pitocin with Colette and I said I never would (and didn't with Edward)...they make the contractions 10X worse than without.

Anyway, sounds like you did AWESOME. Welcome to motherhood!

I am so happy for you, and it sounds like you'll be the best mom!