Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Magic of a 15 Month Old

The first year of Nolan's life was definitely measured in milestones (as you do with any baby). His development was obvious when he would finally flip from tummy to back...or took those first glorious steps. However I'm learning the magic of the second year! My darling child has the cutest little personality...he's like a person now!!! I do realize that this was bound to happen, as it happens with all children, but it is oh-so fun to experience.

Just a few weeks ago, his only words were "Mama", "Dada", and another word that sounded kinda like "Bubba" but didn't really have a definition. Now, the child is a chatter box, everyday adding a new word to his repertoire. The most recent additions are "Hi", "Bye" (which includes the cutest wave), "Bubble", "Up", "Uh-Oh", "Ouch", "Hot" and a few other words that are close...but not quite there yet. Today he said "Hat" when they said it on a show. He then walked around saying "At" "At". He repeats words when I say them, but not using them regularly or in context. I'm quite thrilled that "No" is not part of his vocabulary yet. I know it will come (it's inevitable, especially since it is in his name!) but I don't look forward to that day.

The best part of all these words is the increased communication. He walks to his highschair when he is hungry and says "Up, Up". Another aide to our communication is a little bit of sign language. He learned "All Done" awhile ago, which is nice when he is stuffed and can't eat another bite. He recently learned "More", although he sometimes waves his hand towards him as if to say "Bring on the food". Both are cute and get the point across! He picked up the sign for "Milk" all on his own, although his wave goodbye and the sign for milk are pretty much the same, so it's hard to know if he 100% understands how to use that sign! I would really like for him to learn "Thank You", but I'm horrid at remembering to use it...so that might take a bit more work!

It's fun to watch Nolan play. He is experiencing his toys in a whole new way. Instead of just pushing his toys around, he's understanding that they make noises if you press in a certain part. He also knows which button to press on my keychain to make the car go HONK. His favorite pasttime is to steal my keys and sit next to the windown and watch the lights flash on my car and hear the horn honk! He also enjoys running around the house and turning on all the fans, then running away when they blow on him. He is slightly obsessed with brooms and today I caught him getting a rag off the kitchen table and cleaning the fridge door. Someone in this house needs to be a clean freak...and we know that both Brian & I don't fit that description! Today Nolan was playing in our room and picked up a dirty shirt I left on the floor. He walked over and put it in the correct dirty clothes bin!! Brian doesn't even do that!!!! I was so proud I almost cried!

I could not be luckier. Nolan is such an amazing kid and I love watching the world through his eyes.

No comments: